Thursday, July 12, 2012

To Pop, or Not to Pop

Blister, Now What? ©

July 12, 2012, by Joel Hawk

Now there is a question that has a couple of answers - yes or no.  Inevitably, the day will come when you get a blister and then you'll ask yourself that question. 



When I first started hiking, I didn't know any better and when I'd get a blister, I'd pop it thinking that was the right thing to do.  Frankly, all that really does is allow the opportunity for an infection to set in.  All the medical folks I talk too say to leave it alone and let it pop in it's own time.  This approach offers the opportunity for your body to generate a new skin layer under the damaged skin preventing infection.  To help protect the area while this happens, I'd recommend placing a large piece of moleskin over the blistered area. 

I got the blister above on a little 4.5 miler Up Mount Soledad in La Jolla.  I didn't think I would have any complications and wore my tennis shoes and cotton socks.  I felt the discomfort coming down the mountain, but it had been so long since I had a blister that I ignored it; and I paid the price for that decision for about three weeks while it healed.  I did follow my own advice above and did not pop the blister and luckly did not have any lasting issues nor infection.  I even went on a 12 miler a couple of weeks after getting the blister and did not have any complications.  With a large piece of moleskin and gritted teeth, off I went.  Now, you can't catch me wearing cotton socks when I'm going any length of distance and if I do, I'm wearing the liner socks underneath.

These are some things to help prevent blisters out on the trail or even just walking around town. 
1. Wear two pair of socks.  Invest in liner socks that go on first and then a pair of wool wicking socks to wick the moisture away from your foot.
2. Anytime you get an uncomfortable feeling on your foot, stop and take off your socks and shoes.  The sock may have just balled up inside your shoe or something may have gotten down in there.  Either way, this will reduce the number of hot spots on your foot which can lead to a blister.
3. Remove your socks and shoes when you are taking a nice break.  I do this when I reach the summit and am having lunch - or amost every time I'm crossing a creek.
4. If you are experiencing a real hot spot and can tell the rubbing is going to cause problems for you later, slap on some moleskin to reduce the friction.
5. Keep the inside of your shoes and your feet dry as much as possible.

In this picture, I'm letting my feet dry and breathe a little while enjoying a nice updraft out of the canyon.  That cliff is straight down so the only thing I was willing to put over the edge were my feet.

I hope this helps you enjoy the trails more and in better comfort.

Be safe, enjoy living and appreciate our lands.  ~ Joel

No comments:

Post a Comment