Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Recovery after a long Hike

Recovery after a long hike ©

June 13, 2012, by Joel Hawk

It's just walking, right?  There isn't any need to do anything for your body after a long hike is there?  And then the next day you find you're sore or if you really pushed it, the day after that as well.  Here are a few tips to help you recover faster and get back on the trail (or do the other things in your life without soreness).

1. Drink lots (and I mean lots) of water before, during and after your hike.
2. Drink something with electrolytes during and after your hike.
3. Take a few minutes and soak your feet in any running stream you come across after you've been on the trail for a few miles.  Not only comforting, but a very pleasant feeling letting your toes dance in the water.
4. Stretch gently before and after your hike.
5. And most importantly, ice down after your hike. 

Question, who here likes to plunge their feet into a freezing cold bucket of water?  Not me, but I did it for a long time.  Then I talked with my son and he gave me the best tip I've heard in a long time.  Don't start with iced water.  Just start with cold water out of the tap.  Let your feet get used to the temperature (it's still pretty cold folks).  After a few minutes, drop in some ice and you won't experience that sharp, unpleasant reaction.  (I use the remaining iced water from the ice chest left over from my trip and then add blue ice so I can refreeze it.)  The true benefit here is you will be able to tolerate the iced water longer helping your feet and legs heal faster.  Only soak your feet in the iced water for about 8 - 10 minutes to prevent nerve damage (per my doctor).

Ahhhh.....

Be safe, enjoy living and appreciate our lands.   ~ Joel


No comments:

Post a Comment