Sunday, June 3, 2012

One pair or Two pair of socks?

One or Two Pair of Socks  ©

June 3, 2012, by Joel Hawk

I've often been asked if it's best to wear one pair of socks or two pair?  The answer is, whatever works best for you, but never, ever cotton for any lengthy hike.  Me, personally, I go with two pair and to this date, I've not had a blister with this combination.  I start with a pair of liners (sometimes called runners socks) and then cover with wool (wicking) socks.  You can buy these at any REI/BIG 5/Sports Chalet and I'm sure at many other places.  Although I hike often, my longest hike is only about 22 miles.  I recently hiked 6.5 miles up to Mount Soledad here in San Diego and thought I was safe with cotton socks and tennis.  I had a half-dollar sized blister on the ball of my foot that took over a month to heal. 

Now, I always wear the liner even on my shorter hikes.  Let me know how it goes for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment