Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Stonewall Peak

Stonewall Peak ©
May 6, 2012, Joel Hawk
Following my two “little” hikes up Oakzanita and Sugg Peaks, I was still full of energy and excitement, so I set off to climb another two peaks.  I was very close to Middle Peak and Stonewall, so I bought my parking pass at Paso Picacho Camp Grounds.  The Trailhead for Stonewall Peak is just across the street and is a very family friendly hike.  The trails are wide and well groomed.  I saw little hikers in the 6 and 7 year range and they had more energy than the Mom and Dad frankly.  The first picture is Stonewall climbing up the trail and the next is the trail.  I wanted to show you how well maintained and used it is.



No real concerns about adverse wildlife, but there is a huge promise of wonderful views as far as the eyes can see.  The hike gets a little steep at the top as the mountain comes to a point, but there is a nice surprise waiting for you.  This is Stonewall from the Oakzanita/Sugg Peak Trail.

These are views from Stonewall Peak.  Promised there were some nice views.


Views straight down off the face of Stonewall.  I wish there was a way I could take a picture to demonstrate the steep angles, but guess you'll just have to go there to see how straight down this is for yourself.


I promised there was a nice surprise at the top to help you get up the last little bit.  Not only this, but there are actually steps toward the final part of the peak.  See what that $8 or the annual pass goes toward?

The monument is at the very top with a nice man-made railing all the way around.  Not sure what the peg was for, but whatever it was, it’s gone now.  Hold onto your hat, it’s breezy up there.  Mine almost got donated to the canyon below.

 Looking out to the West I spot the next adventure I'll be embarking on in an hour or so to complete my four-bagger of the day.  This is Middle Peak, so let's get to it.

Be safe, enjoy living and appreciate our lands.   ~ Joel

Directions and the numbers:
Travel East on I-8 and exit on 79 North going to Julian (be watching for the 90 degree turn to stay on 79).  You’ll drive for what seems forever, but you cannot pass Paso Picacho Campground without seeing it.  Talk to the nice Ranger and pay for your parking pass.  Directly across the street from the Ranger booth is the Stonewall Trailhead.  This is in the Cuyamaca Rancho State Park, so displaying an adventure pass is a good idea or you risk getting ticketed.  An annual pass is only $35 or so and the monies go toward trail maintenance and other things.  The daily pass is only $8.  For the joy we get in return, it’s a worthwhile investment.  Total round trip is 4.16 miles with a 802 ft total ascent with a max elevation of 5747 ft.   Overall this took me about 58 minutes up and 43 minutes down. 
Lat/Long:
32° 57' 39'' N; 116° 34' 19'' W
32.96088, -116.571959 (Dec Deg)
540004E 3647031N Zone 11 (UTM)

No comments:

Post a Comment