Monday, September 10, 2012

How to buy Hiking Shoes

Buying Hiking Shoes or Boots ©

September 10, 2012


This is a tough question to answer, so the university answer is appropriate at this point and that is, "it depends."  Personal preferences are how to measure the correct approach to buying your hiking shoes, but there are a few things to consider to help you (and the salesman/woman) to get you into the correct pair.
First, what is the purpose of the shoes?  Are you going to stroll around on well-maintained, sandy trails or are you going to challenge rocks, sticks, bushwhacking, open country, rivers/streams, mud, rains - get the picture?  Decide what trails you are interested in hiking and then you can select the appropriate pair.
IF you are interested in the "non-normal" type hikes where loose rocks, steep incline and declines, water crossings, etc., then make sure the soles are very, very sturdy.  There are a lot of light-weight shoes out there that are extremely durable and will protect your feet out on the trail.  Being a larger man, I opt for a pair of shoes that offer real support to my arches, heels and the ball of my foot.  If my feet are in pain, then my hike is miserable.
Then one should consider whether they prefer low cut, medium height or flat out boots.  I wear all three type depending on what I'm doing.  If it's really rough terrain and I'm bushwhacking a lot, I go with the full boots.  The additional support around my ankles have saved me from so many ankle sprains that that alone has paid huge returns for the higher price of boots.  I have a pair of Red Wings that are light weight, very durable and have several hundred miles on them already.  And if you have followed my posts for very long, I enjoy climbing up/down interesting rock structures without the use of ropes/cables, so I need something with grip!  These have been on a couple of 20 milers and my feet were fine - worn out, but fine.




When I'm planning a shorter hike on a well maintained trail, I find that my Merrills are comfortable.  These are medium height, but after about 8 - 10 miles, I've had about enough in those shoes.  They are a little tight and the next pair I buy will be a little larger, but I'll get to the size in just a bit.  Another issue with the medium height shoes is that they rub along your archilles tendon.  Just something to be aware of when you are at the shoe store.


My low cut shoes are made by Deem and I absolutely love these things although dirt/rocks do get into them easier.  I bought a pair of gators to help deter that though and I haven't had any issues since then.  These shoes are very comfortable and I usually wear them on any ardous hikes.  They work really great on loose rock and I can still climb the rock structures when I find one.  I would not recommend these when boonie stomping (a term I learned when stationed in Guam while serving in the Navy).  Boonie stomping in English is bushwhacking or cross country in arduous conditions. 


So lets talk about size now.  This is where personal preference really comes into play.  I prefer to use the two sock method meaning I wear a pair of liners under a pair of thick wool/wicking socks.  The rubbing occurs between the two pair of socks instead of against my feet.  I've learned over the years to buy my shoes 1/2 to 1 full size bigger than my normal shoes.  My feet tend to swell a little after walking up/down for miles on end.  The Deems are oversized and I've probably hiked in them for about 50 - 75 miles and I've never had any issues with them.  My feet have room to move around and my toes do not hit into the front end when coming down a steep cliff.  Saves my toenails and that cramping feeling.  And for a bonus, I was talking to a retired shoe salesman recently and he said that a full size is only about 1/6th of an inch.  That's about the size of a think sock, so there you go.

Another thing to consider is whether or not your want your shoes to be waterproofed.  It almost seems to be a waste (to me) to buy low cut waterproof shoes, so I don't bother personally.  My boots though, which are high enough to keep out the water out when I step through puddles, I get waterproofed.  Anything you step in deeper than the top of your shoes will get water inside.  This is what you don't want without taking the time to dry your feet and shoes first.  Sometimes, there are no other choices so be sure to keep an extra set of socks in your backpack.

As far as where to get your shoes/boots, I would recommend a professional hiking store like REI or A-16 when looking for your shoes.  When you go, have the answers to the questions above and you'll be better prepared to find some nice comfortable shoes to enjoy your hiking adventures in.

Be safe, enjoy living and appreciate our lands.   ~ Joel

1 comment:


  1. Hiking is so much fun and full of adventures. Hiking is all about walking through the long distances , fresh air , observing the beautiful nature and that smell
    of nature is just mind blowing . Hiking is something that leaves one full of enthusiasm and positive energy . It helps one connect with themselves and nature.

    Marcel recently posted...best womens hiking boots reviews

    ReplyDelete