Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Indian Hill (reposted)

Indian Hill ©
January 23, 2013, Joel Hawk

(Click on pictures to enlarge)

What a fun and interesting hike!  One of the most beautiful sunrises I've seen (being retired Navy and working on ships at sea a lot during my career, you can rest assured I've seen a lot of them.  Plus, I'm not so young any more.).  Here are some pics with short time lapses.




 




Now that we have that covered, I parked out on a jeep road by the train tracks and started my day across the desert.  I wasn't really sure what Indian Hill looked like from the desert floor, so I was guessing which one it was as I crossed over.  I was wrong about 7 or 8 times, but thank goodness I didn't climb them to find out!  For the most part though, I was watching for any signs of animal life.  I'm still waiting to see my first wild big horn sheep.  I know they've seen me, but I haven't caught up with them just yet.

After a short jaunt, I came upon Indian Hill (once I got on top, I learned it really was Indian Hill - it's always a guess until I find the register or see the benchmark).  I could have continued a little farther around the hill to the West and could have come up a much easier route, but I was full of energy and ready to go; so up the bold face I went.  This is what it looks like from the floor.  Doesn't look so bad does it?  Looks are deceiving; but it really wasn't all that bad.



This isn't a really high hill, so after about 20 minutes or so and just now breaking into a sweat, I found myself on the summit.  Losing a couple of layers of clothes, I find myself in my normal hiking clothing and would remain that way for the rest of the day.  It was a great day for hiking....after finding and signing the register and taking the obligatory pics of standing in my trademark pose on the tallest rock I could find, I was ready for my next adventure.

 

But wait, this is Indian Hill.  So, I did a little war dance up there all alone.  I'm in the desert, so no one will see even though I'm out in the open on top of that peak.  It was fun actually doing the whooping and hollering and stomp-dancing in circles.  Only....about 5 hours later, it started raining.  I guess I got my dances mixed up!

I had read about and really wanted to find some pictographs in/around Indian Hill.  I searched and searched.  I even found the exact spot where one blog had stated they had seen pictographs in a small cave.

I climbed over and looked under every rock on this hill.  Unfortunately, these rocks are granite and are decomposing, so I suspect they have deteriorated away.  I did find some pieces of pottery though.  In keeping with the law and respecting the rights of the Indians, I left the pieces there for others to see.  But I have to say, it was cool to find these little pieces while on my journey.

 






 I headed off for Moan Benchmark knowing this part of my day would be the most challenging.  I soon learned that would be the understatement of the trip.  Along the way, I saw this large piece of petrified wood.  This wasn't the largest piece I saw on the day.  Cool though huh?



This was a fairly easy hike and I feel anyone with beginner to moderate hiking skills could make it to the top.  There are a few boulders to climb over/around even if you come up the easy way.  Look out for the cholla cactus because once it has you, it has you...
Be safe, enjoy living and appreciate our lands.   ~ Joel

Directions and the numbers:
Travel East on I-8 and exit at Ocotillo Wells.  Drive through town and when you come to the Border Patrol checkpoint, go another 200 - 300 yards and turn left onto a jeep dirt road called Dos Cabezas.  Follow this road to the train tracks and water tower.  Turn right before crossing the tracks and drive past the train trestle.  Park off the road where you can and then cross over the tracks on your way.  You can follow the old jeep road on foot or by horse, but cannot drive on it.

Copyright: All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment