Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Jacumba Mountain

Directions to the quarry is difficult to explain at best.  I do have my track, so would be happy to share that with you.  You MUST have a 4 wheel drive to make it to the quarry or you're in for quite a long hike.  As it is, this hike was a challenge - short, but a challenge.  This shot doesn't look as dramatic as it really was.  Fun little drive.

This shot is from our parking area at the rock quarry.  The best way up/down is to head toward the saddle to the right (the deepest "V" here in the picture).  If you wanted to go the way we did, we aimed directly for the second peak from left to right.  This ended up being very challenging and a very steep ascent. 

Our trusty jeep standing guard.  You will need a 4 wheel drive to reach the quarry.  Trust me on this.

Jack made it to the top first (as usual...that's why I call him "The Motor."  This isn't the summit; this is just the top of the face we initially climbed.

This is what we had just climbed up.  Yes, it really is that steep.  Oh, didn't I mention it?  There are no trails; simply bushwhacking and rock climbing/boulder jumping.


Always goofing around.

Yes, there is a benchmark and this made my day.  This was placed here in 1935.
Motor hanging on at the summit.

The winds picked up in a big way just as we reached the summit.  I was being blown all over, but we finally got my trademark pose without going over the edge.
Jack made it back to the jeep before I did, but he has to wait for me to get to the reward liquids (I have the keys).  :)

We bagged three peaks on our list today....it was a good day.

Be safe, enjoy living and appreciate our lands.   ~ Joel
Directions and numbers:
As I said above, directions are painful, but take the In-Ko-Pah exit off I-8 and weave your way back along the access road to the dirt road at the little border station on the South side of I-8.  Follow my track from there as it's easy to take the wrong turn.


32° 41' 52'' N; 116° 9' 52'' W
32.697828, -116.164495 (Dec Deg)
578316E 3618097N Zone 11 (UTM)

No comments:

Post a Comment