Friday, August 3, 2012

Oakzanita Peak

Oakzanita ©
May 6, 2012, Joel Hawk
What a nice, comfortable hike recommended for the entire family regardless how much of it you actually finish.  This is a well maintained trail and used often with many signs of horse use.  There were three creek crossings but I was able to navigate the rocks and tree branches well enough to stay dry.  The Trailhead was easy to find although I started off on the wrong trail at first (wasn’t the last time for the day either).  Take the lower Descanso Creek Trail just past this sign.




This sign below is posted at the trailhead like in most places out here, but it’s one to read.  I’ll tell you why in my Sugg Peak report which I added to this hike.
I started just after sunrise and man, was it cold!  I wasn't properly clothed for the chill and became concerned that I may actually have to turn back - yes, I'm really cold adverse.  But I’m hard-headed too, so I pressed on with blue fingers and fog-breath.  (I can just see the smiles from the ones in the know on that one!)
Walking along the creek with a new day starting had all the birds singing their songs to me as I came into their habitat.  Sounds of running water and several waterfalls instantly brought my internal chatter to a place of peace where I could start forgetting about the stresses of our hectic lives. 



In just ½ mile or so, you come up out of the creek area onto East Mesa Fire Road.  Turn right and go about 100 yards or so and you’ll see where the trail starts again.  Turn right into the grassy area for some more fun scenery. 


After just 2 miles, I was in a full sweat remembering the chill I'd felt just a few minutes ago.  Even so, as I walked along the trail, our creator placed beautiful spots of color to make the trip even more enjoyable.  It’s going to be a gorgeous day.



I looked off into the horizon and saw my initial destination.  Although I’ve been walking for a while, it still looked way out there (maybe that’s just me)?

Before too long though, I came upon the trail leading off to Oakzanita and where the trail meets and continues off into the meadows.  Obviously, I wanted to climb Oakzanita so off to the right I went with my destination appearing much closer.

After a short and fairly easy climb, I found myself at the summit.  Disappointedly, I could not find any benchmarks although I climbed every rock on the summit.  Still, a great hike and I will carry fond memories in my travels forward.  One could opt to head back to the trailhead or take on one of the more significant challenges in San Diego (Sugg Peak).  You can read about that hike here as well.
Be safe, enjoy living and appreciate our lands.   ~ Joel
Directions and the numbers:
Travel East on I-8 and exit on 79 North going about 6 miles to Julian (be watching for the 90 degree turn to stay on 79).  At mailbox address number 11191 off 79, you’ll come to a parking area where the Trailhead starts.  There are actually two trails that start here going in three directions, so be sure to follow the Lower Creek path.  This is in the Cuyamaca Rancho State Park, so displaying an adventure pass is a good idea or you risk getting ticketed.  An annual pass is only $35 or so and the monies go toward trail maintenance and other things.  The daily pass is only $8.  For the joy we get in return, it’s a worthwhile investment.  Total round trip: 6.2 miles, 1126 total ascent and would have taken me about 2 ½ hours if I had only climbed this one peak and returned to the trailhead, but I added Sugg Peak to this trip.  Watch for ticks which I think I picked up when I sat on a nice, shady rock for a snack.
Lat/Long
32° 53' 27'' N; 116° 33' 43'' W
32.890888, -116.561881 (Dec Deg)
540978E 3639276N Zone 11 (UTM)

No comments:

Post a Comment