Monday, April 13, 2015

Mount Tule



Mount Tule ©
April 12, 2015, Joel Hawk
(Click on pictures to enlarge)
Lost the pics with my new phone....

Short hike with loads of fun driving the jeep on the dirt roads and up the mountain.  Great views over McCain Valley.  I don't get the idea to go 4x often with my busy schedule, so I appreciate every chance that comes up.

If one takes this approach, it's a very short hike.  Steep hill, but not much of a challenge.
Jack Bagger is training for his last two mountains to complete his 100 peaks, so he came out to join me.  He had already hiked this earlier in the morning by the time I got there from my other hike.  In about 15 minutes or so, we were on top.  Someone has stolen the Benchmark, but the two directional survey markers at still there.
Fantastic views of McCain Valley from the back of my jeep.






A buddy of mine has lived at the base of Mount Tule for most of his life.  He has hiked and hunted this area for years and told me about seeing bucks on the mountain all the time.  This is just a little fun with my buddy.



Back down the mountain and ready for my trip home.  It was a great day out here with the high temp reaching 76.  Perfect.  Time to plan my next adventure.  If you were interested in learning more about or exploring McCain Valley, here is the link. 

Be safe, enjoy living and appreciate our lands.   ~ Joel

Directions and the numbers:
Take I-8 to Campo/Boulevard exit and go south 0.45 miles to a stop sign. Turn left (E) onto Old Highway 80 and go 2.3 miles and turn left (N) onto McCain Valley Rd.   Take MV 52 dirt road to the right (on the sign it says Sacatone Overlook).  Take the MV 55 dirt road to the right.  If you have a 4 x 4, this is a fun road and can take you up to about .4 miles from the summit.  Otherwise, a stock vehicle can take you up the road for a good piece before you should pull over.  Total round trip from the end of the dirt road by jeep is .4 miles, 772 total ascent with a max elevation of 4656 ft.   Overall this took us about 30 minutes.
Copyright: All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment