Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Square Top



Square Top ©
February 8, 2015, Joel Hawk

(Click on pictures to enlarge)

It’s been a while since I’ve had time for a good, cross-country hike with my friends, but this was a good fit.  Jack, Dorie, John and I met to climb Square Top.  With an early morning start, the day started out Grand.  I didn’t realize the road we took would bypass Eagle Rock which is an original rock formation that is very similar to an eagle just starting to open its wings for flight.  It’s such a beautiful, natural sight and the angle I took the picture from did not do justice so I added a picture from an earlier hike from March 2013.  (I'm remiss in that I have not written the article yet, but it's an easy family hike about 7 miles long. Park at the Warner Springs Fire Department off 79 and take the trailhead just to the South of the station.)


I always enjoy a nice, cool drive early in the morning when the animals are waking to start their day.  We saw some large deer grazing peacefully off the side of the road and the other usual animals.
Arriving at the Los Coyotes Indian Reservation gate, I learned the fee was $10 to enter.  After a short and friendly chat, off we went toward a new adventure.  We passed through some campgrounds that had very nice and large sites.  Note for the future.
After a short way, we left the paved road and started traveling down a well-maintained dirt road...which eventually led to a not so well-maintained road.  This is where hikers have the option of adding some mileage to their hikes, or come in a 4 x 4.  I dropped the jeep into the low gear and proceeded to cut off some of the distance.
I have not put a lift kit on my jeep, so once we ran out of acceptable road, we parked.  A few adjustments and off we went.



 We followed a creek for the first part of our trip and criss-crossed over it making our way.  Love walking in the bed of leaves and listening to the birds as the morning wakes.  This first picture reminds me of something Thomas Kinkade would do.




We followed the creek for about 1 1/2 miles and then started our cross-country bushwhacking and boulder jumping to reach our destination.  Not bad, but more of a challenge for a family in my opinion.  There is our destination ahead.

Once we started our climb, we came across some land seals.

It wasn't too steep, but it wasn't easy either.  Jack was very patient with us leading up on the best path possible.

After a nice, challenging climb, we reached a nice shady lunch spot.  Cheetos are a must for any serious hiker, so I busted out my trademark bag. 
 After a bite, we summited and started looking for the register.  I'm glad I looked at Google maps as the register was on the other side of the top.  There are no trails, so it's a total bushwhack and boulder jump, but success was ours.

Now that we have conquered this one, we head on back to the jeep to start talking of our next adventure.



We arrived at our jeep right at dusk and after a few refreshments, we headed home. 

Be safe, enjoy living and appreciate our lands.   ~ Joel
Directions and the numbers:
Travel to Warner Springs and just South of town, go East onto Camino San Ignacio which becomes Los Coyotes Rd.  There is a fee of $10 to access the reservation.  The roads are paved all the way to the camping grounds and then they become dirt roads most vehicles can ride on.  But, there comes a point where a 4 x 4 is required.  Total round trip for the hike is appx 7.93 miles, 2660 total ascent with a max elevation of 4657 ft.   Overall this took us about 4 1/2 hours.
Copyright: All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment